As I mentioned before, I could not find a time tracking application for the Mac that worked on the menubar and generated the reports I wanted. As any self-respecting hacker, I scratched my itchy and developed my own app, Kala.
Kālá is a Sanskrit word for time and a traditional Hindu unit of time consisting of 144 seconds. Also, 144 seconds is close to GTD’s 2 minute rule, making the little type A guy inside me happy.
I don’t want to turn this blog into a late night commercial (but if you call now you’ll receive a spoon for free!) so I’ll just highlight a few of Kala’s features and benefits (you can see more on Kala’s page):
- Easily accessible on the menu bar
- Simple and easy to use
- Create tasks, projects and categories
- Stop and continue previous tasks
- Rename and delete tasks, projects and categories
- See how much time you are spending on billable and unbillable tasks
There are still a few bugs to fix and features to add, such as iCloud support and invoice generation, but I am happy with the result so far. I am also working on a version for the iPhone.
Kala is available on the App Store.